23 February 2006

off to the land of hyperreality

The very definition of the real becomes: that of which it is possible to give an equivalent reproduction. The real is not only what can be reproduced, but that which is always already reproduced. The hyper real. -- Jean Baudrillard

Tomorrow I depart for Las Vegas, the city proudly named by James Howard Kunstler as eyesore of the month for January 2006. If you look at his picture, I'll be staying at the hotel with the lion on top.

I don't hate Las Vegas itself. I know I'll enjoy myself there (thanks to the all the alcohol I'll be imbibing). But Las Vegas is the epitome of everything I despise about postmodern culture. It's an artificial paradise where the defined "real" is nothing but fake, plastic scenery. Plus, I don't gamble, and the sound of slot machines and stench of cigarette smoke annoys me.

The scary part is that most Americans prefer this land of fiction as a vacation spot.

What you have to do is enter the fiction of America, enter America as fiction. It is, indeed, on this fictive basis that it dominates the world. -- Jean Baudrillard

Cultural and ideological imperialism, my friends. If New York is the financial capital of the world and Los Angeles the entertainment capital, then Las Vegas symbolizes the excess of capital. New god-awful monstrous structures lavished with greed are constructed on a monthly basis in an endless process of simulation--simulating the "real" world.

Look, if I had my choice I'd travel to an authentic vacation spot, somewhere with a forest, nature trails or a beach. But it's my cousin's wedding and Vegas is the destination.

. . .

Here's a music video that has nothing to do with the post above. The band is Morningwood, and they have hardworking wardrobe people.

Ha, she said wood...

About

I guess you could say this is the "Original Pime". I stopped blogging here regularly in May 2008 (if you don't count the B-Sides diversion - yes it gets confusing) when I joined the Tumblr revolution. Going forward bravely into 2009, this site will serve to house any large image work I produce.

Peace out.
Agi
1/3/2009

Archive

My Other Blogs

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP