27 July 2006

operation enduring hegemony

Looks like someone stole my idea, or at least published it before I could:

From the present-day consequences of the cold war to more recent American trends—like "Seinfeld" or Wal-Mart—John Tirman lists what he calls American blunders in the context of its founding ideals, and hopes his commentary will serve as a call to arms. "It might seem cranky or clownish ... but there’s a serious point to this," writes Tirman, head of the center for international studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the author of the new book "100 Ways America Is Screwing Up the World" (HarperCollins).

It’s easy to cast blame on others while ignoring one's own culpability. Americans are skilled at this practice. We can dish it out, but can't take it. We lash out at "the other" whether its illegal immigrants, gays, the UN, the French, Teletubbies, etc. But when our own culture or government is confronted with criticism we react with confusion and/or anger. This angry reaction is a sign of insecurity perhaps, or just sensitivity.

The reflective criticism that Tirman engages in is important. He points out American screw-ups but also offers solutions. To solve problems rationally we must own up to our actions and
move forward. Honesty enables an experience of reality which in turn breeds authenticity. Baseless criticism (criticism for
its own sake) serves no purpose other than to boost the ego of the critic.

I admit I am guilty of such non-constructive criticism. If you've followed my blog for a few months you would agree. I guess I do this out of boredom if for nothing else. Personally I'd like to move beyond this sharpshooter approach to attacking issues and develop a more holistic relationship with a subject. Ok, I'm starting to ramble. Better quit while I'm ahead. but you get the idea..

About

I guess you could say this is the "Original Pime". I stopped blogging here regularly in May 2008 (if you don't count the B-Sides diversion - yes it gets confusing) when I joined the Tumblr revolution. Going forward bravely into 2009, this site will serve to house any large image work I produce.

Peace out.
Agi
1/3/2009

Archive

My Other Blogs

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP