16 January 2007

fool me once, shame on you

Fool me — you can't get fooled again!?!

Feast on these choice quotes from conservative pundit Rod Dreher's audio essay. Looks like he's been laying off the Republicande:

As President Bush marched the country to war with Iraq, even some voices on the Right warned that this was a fool’s errand. I dismissed them angrily. I thought them unpatriotic. But almost four years later, I see that I was the fool...


Cue the Roger Daltrey scream!*

It wasn’t supposed to turn out like this. Not under a Republican President....


There's no place like home! There's no place like home!

Ok, here comes the grand slam...

As I sat in my office last night watching President Bush deliver his big speech, I seethed over the waste, the folly, the stupidity of this war. I had a heretical thought for a conservative - that I have got to teach my kids that they must never, ever take Presidents and Generals at their word - that their government will send them to kill and die for noble-sounding rot - that they have to question authority.

On the walk to the parking garage, it hit me. Hadn’t the hippies tried to tell my generation that? Why had we scorned them so blithely?

But what would today's GOP be without authoritarianism and hippie-bashing?!

More in-depth analysis of Dreher's essay from IOZ, Maha, Jonathan Schwarz and Glenn Greenwald.

About

I guess you could say this is the "Original Pime". I stopped blogging here regularly in May 2008 (if you don't count the B-Sides diversion - yes it gets confusing) when I joined the Tumblr revolution. Going forward bravely into 2009, this site will serve to house any large image work I produce.

Peace out.
Agi
1/3/2009

Archive

My Other Blogs

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP