16 March 2006

the final frontier

When deep space exploration ramps up, it'll be the corporations that name everything, the IBM Stellar Sphere, the Microsoft Galaxy, Planet Starbucks.
– from Fight Club

That quote speaks to this era’s obsession with branding. Everything must be marked, cataloged and owned. Nothing can be shared. No item, no matter how large or small can be without a logo. Everything must be defined as someone’s property. We hold true that if an object/subject has been successfully defined then it has been successfully killed. Therefore, humanity’s ultimate goal is the eradication of the entire species.

. . .

We haven’t yet colonized space, but I gather Dick Cheney has already reserved the moon for Halliburton. After all, lunar condos will need fresh air, water, and overpriced heating fuel…

Before corporations can colonize outer space, they need to finish the job on this planet. A roofer from Massachusetts came up with an idea to help corporations do just that while making some nice cash of his own. His goal, taken to its logical outcome, is to cover every single roof on the planet with advertisements.

Want to rent out your roof to Coca-Cola, Xerox, or Intel? I can’t think of a better way to get some free money!

This dude’s dream is to someday log on to Google Earth’s satellite maps and witness corporate hegemony enshrined on every urban and suburban landscape of the planet Earth. So go ahead, make his dream come alive and rent out the roof of your house to corporate advertisers! See, it looks kinda cool...

I don’t own the roof of my townhouse, but my HOA would jump at the chance to suck at the corporate teat. As if my HOA needs more money. My monthly dues disappear into the black hole of some inept property management company.

I recommend not only painting buildings but streets, freeways, and airport runways too. The planet is our canvas, so let's tattoo the hell out of it!

About

I guess you could say this is the "Original Pime". I stopped blogging here regularly in May 2008 (if you don't count the B-Sides diversion - yes it gets confusing) when I joined the Tumblr revolution. Going forward bravely into 2009, this site will serve to house any large image work I produce.

Peace out.
Agi
1/3/2009

Archive

My Other Blogs

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP